Regardless of your situation, if you need a place to store your vehicle(s), or if you run out of space in your basement and need some extra storage space, a garage can help you out tremendously. However, is a 20×20 garage the right size for you?
Is 20×20 a Good Size for a Garage?
How many square feet is a 20×20 garage?
20×20 garages are equal to 400 square feet. But you must be careful because depending on the way that the company measures the length and width of the garage, these measurements may be inaccurate. This may happen if they decide to measure from the corners of the roofs eves instead of the exterior wall corners, which can significantly decrease your square footage.
Is 20 feet deep enough for a garage?
20 feet is deep enough to fit one car lengthwise and still have space for some extra storage. Considering that the average car length is approximately 15 feet, and accounting for the 1 foot of space taken up by the walls, you end up with around 4 feet of space between the car and the back wall for you to use as possible storage. So long as you are parking an average size sedan your car will fit, if you have a bigger car, you may want to consider a lengthier garage.
Can you fit 2 cars in a 20×20 garage?
You can fit 2 cars in a 20×20 garage, so long as each wall is 6 inches thick or less, 20×20 garages will fit 2 average size cars, which are approximately 15 ft. long and 6 ft. wide, giving you a square footage of 90. So, 2 cars would be equal to 180 square feet of space which can easily fit in the 400 square feet of space within the garage. If your car is less than 18 feet long and 8 feet wide, you should be able to fit two cars with no issue.
Types of 20×20 Garages
20×20 Garage Kits
- 20×20 garage kits are a bundle of all the materials from wall studs to siding materials needed to construct a 20×20 garage. A standard garage kit includes pre-cut walls, trusses, doors, windows, shingles, etc. Garage kits are easier to install because half of the work is done off-site and is usually cheaper too when compared to an on-site built garage.
Prefab 20×20 Garages
- A fully prefabricated 20×20 garage is a 20×20 garage that is manufactured away from the area it will be placed, to later be moved there. Also known as a portable or modular garage. Check out some prefab 20×20 garages here. Fully prefabricated 20×20 garages have many benefits that include typically, being cheaper than on-site built garages; faster build time; and easier installation.
- A partially prefabricated 20×20 garage is like a fully prefabricated garage in the fact that it is also manufactured off-site, however, not as extensively as a fully prefabricated 20×20 garage. A partially prefabricated garage can be a better option over a fully prefabricated garage, because, even though it might be a bit more expensive, there is a lot more room for customization.
Custom-Built 20×20 Garages
- A custom-built 20×20 garage is perfect if you want customization over anything, this option leaves you with a garage fully tailored to your needs, from colors and doorways to windows and roofing, the choice is all yours. Build one here!
20×20 Garage Materials
20×20 Metal Garages
- Siding: There are plenty of different options for siding when it comes to metal garages. These include different metals from steel to aluminum. When compared to wood, metal siding is a lot more durable, but tends to be slightly more expensive. Our metal 20×20 garages come with durable rolled steel metal siding from Mill Steel. From which you can choose from 16 different colors and is also treated with a weather-resistant coating from AkzoNobel called CERAM-A-STAR1050®.
- Roofing: Similarly, to metal siding, metal garage roofing also comes in steel and aluminum. But, before you decide on a metal roof you should consider the fact that they can be noisy in bad weather, they can be expensive compared to other roofing, and they can be dented. But, if you decide that’s what you want, our 20×20 metal garages can come with durable metal roofing which also has all the color options that the metal siding does.
- Doors: You have multiple options when it comes to doors for 20×20 garages. These can include single doors, sliding doors, double doors, garage doors, etc. These doors are typically made from wood, vinyl, or metal. Our 20×20 metal garages have the option of double doors that match the metal material used in our siding and roofing.
20×20 Wooden Garages
- Siding: Wooden garages tend to come with wood siding and there’s lots of variety when it comes to wood siding. Firstly, there are many styles to choose from including lap, drop channel, tongue and groove, split logs, and board and batten, just to name a few. Then there are endless different types of wood to choose from as well, some of the most common ones include Cypress, Cedar, Redwood, Spruce, Pine, etc. Now, when it comes to our wood siding for the 20×20 garages we have a great variety to offer. You can choose from stained wood, which is old-fashioned wood paneling, that after installation is finished with two coats of the stain of your choice. We also have painted wood available which is LP® SmartSide® siding that can be painted with the color of your choice. And finally, we have log siding which gives you that classic log cabin look, with several styles that can be stained the color of your choosing.
- Roofing: There are multiple options for your wooden garage roofing. These include wood shingles which are thin, tapered pieces of wood with a smooth finish and machine manufactured. Also, wood shakes are a good alternative, they are like wood shingles, but they have a hand-split appearance and have a rougher, grainier texture.
- Doors: There are countless choices of wooden doors to go with your wooden garage from different styles like single doors, double doors, sliding doors, garage doors, etc. Not to mention all the different types of wood as well like pine, oak, cedar, hickory, etc. Here at Esh’s Utility Buildings, our wooden doors for our 20×20 garages include single doors with 6-panel, 9-lite, and 11-lite styles; double doors with a diamond plate threshold; and garage doors which come standard with our 20×20 garages.
20×20 Vinyl Garages
- Siding: One of the most popular siding choices in the US must be vinyl siding, its low cost and easy maintenance make it a great choice for all types of construction, including 20×20 garages. Vinyl siding is made of plastic and is quite durable, with plenty of styles and colors to choose from. We have over 20 colors and many styles of vinyl from Royal Building Products® to choose from to customize your garage.
- Roofing: When looking for affordable and durable roofing material, look no further than vinyl roofing! Vinyl roofing is cheap, requires little maintenance, and is easy to install. They also typically last 20-30 years.
- Doors: Vinyl doors are a great choice for 20×20 garages, with their super low maintenance and affordable price, you can’t go wrong! Also, vinyl doors don’t crack, are waterproof, and you can paint them. We offer vinyl single doors with 6-panel, 9-lite, and 11-lite styles. We also offer vinyl double doors with a diamond-plate threshold on both.
How much does a 20×20 garage cost?
20×20 Garage Kit
A 20×20 garage kit is your cheapest option for a 20×20 garage, this is because a garage kit only includes the materials needed to put together the building and you need to do all the labor yourself. Prices begin at around $5,000.
Fully Prefabricated 20×20 Garage
A fully prefabricated 20×20 garage is your second cheapest option, this is because a fully prefabricated garage is already fully built before being placed on the property which saves you the labor but costs more than a garage kit, with prices starting at around $16,000.
Check out some of our fully prefabricated double-wide buildings below!
Partially Prefabricated 20×20 Garage
A partially prefabricated 20×20 garage is your third cheapest option, this is because the garage is partially built before being placed on the destination property, which creates the need for more labor, but also adds extra options for customizability. Prices begin at around $18,000.
Custom-Built 20×20 Garage
A custom-built 20×20 garage is going to be your most expensive option, this is because nothing is prefabricated and the whole garage is assembled on-site, which also allows for full customizability. Prices begin at around $20,000.
To conclude, a 20×20 garage should be big enough for most people. Unless you are trying to store a limousine or a monster truck, you should have more than enough space for 2 cars and your equipment and other possessions.